Considering how much granola costs, it is well worth the time to make it yourself. The main ingredient is good ole fashioned rolled oats – super cheap! It is also super easy to make and the most time consuming part is the baking time. I make a large batch of basic granola from which I can turn into different flavors of cereals, snacks, and power bars just by adding a few additional ingredients.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 cups puffed grains (rice, wheat, millet, and/or kamut)
- 1 cup sliced almonds (optional; if not using, substitute with 1 cup oats or puffed grains)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Blend together oats, puffs, and almonds in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium-low.
- Add sugar and honey. Continue to heat until bubbly.
- Pour butter mixture over dry mixture and toss to coat with a spatula.
- Spread mixture on parchment or Silpat lined jelly roll pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.